Harvard invited me as an alum to participate in an event for Harvard college students this evening about how to network. I think it's great that Harvard organized this event. The participants - both alums and students - were very much engaged. Glad to take part.
My networking advice.
- Say hello. Make eye contact. Have a good firm handshake.
- Be an active listener. Aim to engage in a quality conversation. Ask an interesting question.
- Seek to give something of value. Aim to give rather than to get. Good things come of this.
- Follow up. Give context. Reference the conversation you had. Build on it in your reply if you can.
- Be fully present in the conversation. Phone put away. Not lost in your head. PRESENT.
It's not rocket science. But it works.